Wednesday, March 10, 2010

happy listening

Today's post is an ode to music's role in my life. I just love how no matter what I'm feeling, there is always the right song to listen to. When I'm feeling kind of nostalgic I can listen to some sweet jams from the past. When I'm missing someone, I listen to the music that reminds me of them. When I feel kinda hyper I listen to something I can bounce around and sing along to. Anyway, you get the picture. I guess my feelings about music aren't really very different from anyone else's. I guess sometimes music just strikes me more than others, you know?
For example, I was bopping along to Mika's Blue Eyes the other day when I actually stopped to listen to the lyrics. It says, "Come sorrow is so peculiar, comes in a day then it'll never leave you. You take a pill wonder if it will fix you, then wonder why sorrow has never left you." I was like, oh my gosh. That's so true. I feel that way sometimes. Too often, if I'm being totally honest. As a former Prozac popper, I can say that's how it feels. You get this freaking pill and hope beyond anything you've hoped before that it'll work, and more often than not you still feel crappy. Oh Mika, you know me too well.

I wish that I could write amazing music that would touch people's lives. The thing about music is that is doesn't have to really be anything in particular to have an impact on people's lives. Music is everywhere. Even a lame song you danced to with your friends one night becomes linked to the experience. Just try to hear that song without thinking of them. You can't. I love that. I mean, sometimes it is really annoying when you can't hear a song without thinking of someone. I get that. But today I'm just really excited about how awesome music is.
In closing, here are my top three favorite things about great music.
1. it says the things I can't
2. it gets super intertwined with my memories
3. I can listen to the same song over and over and over again just soaking it in.
Ok, now go listen to something awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment