Sunday, March 14, 2010

what do you want?

So a month or so ago a friend of mine was asked what she wanted by a guy. I would like to comment here that I think that fact alone is pretty amazing. Even more amazing, after giving it some thought, my friend came up with a list of things that she actually wants. I think its pretty awesome. Her list had some practical wants on it that she could buy or whatever and some other things that were not material.
Anyway, I was thinking about this wish list of sorts that my friend made and I thought it could be a positive exercise. I think it would be good to put pen to paper from time to time and make a list of wants. If the same things are on your lists time after time, I think that is a good indication that it is time to make some changes. Obviously if you always want the same things and never get them, you need to do something differently to get closer to having them.
So, what do I want? It is actually a much harder question to answer than you'd think it should be. There are certain things that I want in my life that are solid. There are other things though that just seem like big fat question marks. That said, here is my current list of wants. Some of them I realize are easier to come by than others.
I want:
to stop feeling sick before I leave for my trip on Wednesday, my new puppy to be ready to live with me already, a desire to work out regularly, some amount of certainty that the career path I'm on is the right one, to know the secret to happiness, to be able to make chocolate chip cookies as good as my moms, to feel less crazy, some cute springy clothes, to fall in love and not have it fall apart, financial independence, my car to stop making funny sounds, and to be less pale.
I guess the usefulness in a list like this would be picking a thing or two at a time to work on obtaining. Even if you don't do that, it is kind of interesting to be honest with yourself about what you actually want. Not everything on the list needs to be deep and important, that makes it seem too hard. Right now, today, what do you want? Think about it, then write it down.

1 comment:

  1. I want you to feel great when you get on that plane Wednesday night. I want to be pain free while you're here. I want to feel rested while you're here and I want the weather to be decent.
    Hmmm, all this stuff is about you! I guess that's because I love you and can't wait to see you:)

    ReplyDelete