Saturday, February 27, 2010

feels like home

It is a strange sort of thing to grow up in Southern California. I mean, I've spent my entire life surrounded by things people visit on vacations or sometimes just see in movies and television. I guess though, that the really strange part is growing up in the Inland Empire. The IE isn't exactly what most people envision when they think of the splendor of Southern California. I kind of feel like growing up in the Inland Empire is like growing up anywhere else in the country, but with better weather. Sure, we're nice and close to all the good stuff in the area, but how often do we actually make it there?
I've realized recently that for as much as I consider this place my home, I sure haven't seen much of it. I went and wandered around in Hollywood yesterday and wondered why I'd never done it before. I've been to events in Hollywood, but I've never just hung around. And why not? I guess because I had no reason to. I'm thinking though, that I've been limiting my own appreciation of where I live. I suppose I could be off, but I'm pretty sure that people think of Hollywood and beaches when they think of Southern California. Then here I am claiming this place as my own and missing out on most of its offerings. Just today I went, in the rain mind you, to Balboa and just sort of hung around. Even in the off season, it's a fun place to be. I can't remember the last time I was there.
I remember when I lived in New York City for a few months I would be out doing whatever and it would hit me that I was actually living there. I would feel so excited about just being in that amazing city. I felt lucky to have a chance to live there for a short time. I guess I'm saying that I am trying to feel that way about home. I think that is the way I should feel about where I live. I'm trying to experience all those things that I never got around to that make people want to come here. I think every place has its charms, but when you live somewhere for a while that charm starts fading. I'm trying to bring back the charm to Southern California.

1 comment:

  1. This is great and so so true. Went to the beach on Friday night. I need to remember to do that more often. Who else in this country can go run around on the beach at midnight in February?

    ReplyDelete