Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I got the power

A very wise woman once told me that pussy is power. While that word is really not a favorite of mine, I thought it appropriate to stay true to the original statement. I really didn't understand what she was saying at first. She explained that women have a lot of power because of their sexuality. I really don't think it's a secret that pretty girls can get basically anything they want. What a lot of people don't see is how much power all women have.
When this wise women told me about this I wasn't sure how true it was. I just hadn't seen the evidence that as a woman I was really in control of how the dating scene worked for me. Guys had told me that it is easier to be a girl, but it can be hard when you feel like you're the girl getting looked over. I found though, that any decent looking girl can get as much male attention as she wants. It is kind of fascinating. If we women put it out there, odds are that some guy will take the offer. Knowing that, our standards can be higher. I think a lot of guys have pretty low standards for their hook ups because they feel like they need to take what they can get. We ladies on the other hand, get to be discriminating.
This whole situation is really interesting for me because I think I always saw men as the ones in control of traditional relationships. I have two thoughts on that. One- most relationships aren't exactly traditional anymore. Two- just because the man is supposed to do the asking and paying doesn't give him control. The power is in the ability to refuse or consent. So, traditional or not, women have serious power.
I'm inclined to believe that this power has really manifested itself more as society has changed to allow it. I think the power has always been there, but as women are now more socially and sexually free the power is more obvious. Power is a tricky thing though. Some women misuse it, while others fail to recognize it. To me, figuring out a place in this power structure is one of the hardest parts of being a woman, particularly a young one.

1 comment: