Sunday, February 21, 2010

welcome to the party life

I've often wondered what I missed by never getting into the party life. My friends always have such fun stories. I'm not going to lie, it makes me kind of jealous. I really don't think kids in high school need to get into that, so I don't feel like I missed anything there. College, on the other hand, is another story entirely.
I feel like I missed something in my college experience. I mean, I got a great education. I met some wonderful people. But what about that college experience I always heard about? Going away to school and living with friends was great, but what about the other stuff? What about the parties and the ridiculous antics? Where was all of that? I guess I can't really complain. I made the choice to go to the school I did. Though in my defense I didn't REALLY know what it would be like when I decided to go there.
The point is, I find myself now wondering if there are some experiences that I really shouldn't miss out on. The problem is knowing what is worthwhile and what isn't. After some recent experiences and conversations, I'm coming to realize that some experiences aren't really necessary. No experience is worthless, but I think most of us would be better off passing on certain ones. I mean, what girl who has ever made a plan B run is totally glad she had that experience? That is just one example, but to me it is kind of representative. We all deserve to have fun and do stupid things while we're young. It just seems like some of those things grouped in with fun aren't really so great when you think about how you might feel after.
I was talking to my best friend about something that went on at a recent event that I wasn't so excited about. His response- welcome to the party life. I guess you have to take the good with the bad. But is it worth it? I'm sure it is sometimes, but don't be expecting me to show up on girls gone wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment